BoyGeniusReport is reporting that the iPhone will be available at Walmart and select Sam’s club stores starting on December 28. BGP also made available the following internal Walmart correspondence:
We are pleased to announce that Wal-Mart has reached agreement with Apple to offer iPhone 3G in Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart-managed Sam’s Club* Connection Centers nationwide beginning December 28, 2008. AT&T will support Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club with the activation process for iPhone 3G, and we need all National Retail employees engaged to ensure a successful launch.
*NOTE: This product launch DOES NOT apply to SC Kiosks within Sam’s Club managed by Radio Shack.
Wal-Mart has communicated the following launch plans and execution timeline to their employees:
- iPhone 3G will be available in-store only beginning 12/28/08
- New and existing customers in good standing can purchase iPhone 3G with a 2 year contract
- iPhone 3G transactions only will be processed through POS.com, not the kiosk
- 12/2 – 12/5: AT&T / Wal-Mart MEM Classroom Training for Store Leads
- 12/3 – 12/19: AT&T In-Store Training
- 12/26 – 12/27: AT&T In-Store Refresher Training
- 12/28: Nationwide Launch
- 12/28 – 12/30: Wal-Mart and AT&T War Room Support
Interestingly, the iPhone will make its debut at these retailers after the holiday shopping season. CNET has more on the story here.