A forum member over at EverythingPre was able to get his hands on a Palm Pre through a buddy of his who received a review unit. While clearly not a substitute for an in-depth review, it seems that the Pre is a worthy effort, but won’t be challenging the iPhone anytime soon. Here are his initial impressions.
– Not the strongest build quality
– Web browser is nice
– UI isn’t as friendly as the iPhone
– Notes that absence of an alarm clock is “disconcerting”
– IM/Text layout is very intuitive
– Multitasking works well, with no noticeable slowdown as number of open applications increase
– The absence of an on-screen keyboard is noticeable
– Keyboard is crowded, and not as satisfying as a BlackBerry keyboard
– Speed isn’t fantastic, but is on the same level as the iPhone (i.e things take some time to open)
– Phone seems plasticky. Doesn’t hate the build quality, but could be better.
– Good weight to the phone, and not too bulky
– Transitions aren’t always immediate
– He can see the gesture area becoming both useful and cumbersome
Update: Another Palm site is confirming that the Pre launch date will in fact be in June