The iPhone is hot, ya’ll! So much so that one reportedly spontaneously combusted during a flight to Australia. The story goes that a passenger’s iPhone began “emitting a significant amount of dense smoke” a short while after the flight landed in addition to housing what we can only imagine was an eerie red glow.
The iPhone was subsequently extinguished by a flight attendant who used a fire extinguisher to cool it off. Notably, the device in question was an iPhone 4, perhaps nature’s not so subtle way of suggesting that the user upgrade to an iPhone 4S. Sure, that might sound crazy, but if anyone remembers the shenanigans that went down in Australia on LOST, this is par for the course!
A press release from Australian airline Regional Express reads:
Regional Express (Rex) flight ZL319 operating from Lismore to Sydney today had an occurrence after landing, when a passenger’s mobile phone started emitting a significant amount of dense smoke accompanied by a red glow.
In accordance with company standard safety procedures, the Flight Attendant carried out recovery actions immediately and the red glow was extinguished successfully.
All passengers and crew on board were unharmed.
The matter has been reported to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) as well as the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) for investigation and directions.
The mobile phone in question appears to be an Apple iPhone (see picture below) and has been handed over to ATSB for analysis.
In all seriousness, this isn’t the first time we’ve seen reports of an Apple product randomly going into overdrive. Similar stories involving various iterations of the iPod have popped up now and again over the past few years. Recently, Apple issued a worldwide recall of its original iPod Nano due to overheating issues involving the battery.
via Regional Express