Looks like podcasts are getting some dedicated love from Apple.
Yesterday, Apple released a standalone podcasts app in the iOS App Store aptly titled “Podcasts.” As you might expect, the app is free to download and checks in at a more than reasonable 8.8 MB.
Apple describes the apps new features thusly:
- Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
- Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
- Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
- Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
- Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
- Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
- Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
- Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
- Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
- Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
So nothing really too new but interesting that Podcasts have now gotten so big to warrant their own app.
You can check it out over here.