Earlier this week, French based game development company Gameloft announced that they had sold over 6 million iPhone games on Apple’s iTunes App Store in the past 13 months. Gameloft, well-known for titles such as Assasins Creed and Real Soccer, has thus far released 35 games for the iPhone platform, many of which have been critically acclaimed and have found their way onto the top 10 list of the ‘games’ section on iTunes.
To commemorate its 6 million download milestone, Gameloft released the following press release:
“Gameloft®, a leading publisher and developer of downloadable video games, today announced that it has sold over 6 million games on the App Store. Gameloft boasts a diverse catalog of offerings from action to casual to sports games. The company currently has 35 games available on the App Store, of which 18 have made the Top 10 Paid Games list worldwide. The iPhone OS continues to be Gameloft’s number one platform.
“From the distribution model to the types of games available, the App Store has completely revolutionized the way handheld games are played, perceived and received,” said Michel Guillemot, chairman and CEO, Gameloft. “Our strategy from the onset has been twofold. First we deliver an aggressive line-up of high quality games and then we adapt in real time to consumer needs. With over 6 million paid games sold, it has proven to be quite successful.”
Top sellers from Gameloft in 2009 include:
· Gangstar: West Coast Hustle – A thrilling 3D open-world crime epic that lets players live the life of an L.A. gangster by taking on missions, exploring the city, escaping from police and challenging rival gang members.
· NFL 2010 (US and Canada)– A 100% authentic NFL experience with real teams, real players and real action that lets players lead their team through an entire season and battle to win The Super Bowl.
· Guitar Rock Tour 2 – A rhythm-based game that immerses players into the rock n’ roll world of stardom with the choice to play with guitar or drum instruments Features an explosive licensed track list of songs such as “I Love Rock ‘N Roll”, “Call Me” and “Paranoid.”
· The Oregon Trail – The classic re-make of the popular Apple II game that captures the youthful hearts of gamers and allows players to embark on the most exciting journey in American history!
· Real Tennis 2009 – A realistic simulation game that allows players to live the life of a tennis pro and play on famous courts around the world.
· Let’s Golf! – The best 3D family golf game that lets you discover a fun and colorful atmosphere. The intuitive gameplay makes it accessible to everyone. .
· Assassin’s Creed: Atlair’s Chronicles – The prequel to the critically acclaimed console title that captivate players with intense adventures and takes place during the Third Crusade in the Holy Land.
· UNO – The world famous card game is faithfully reproduced for iPhone and features exciting new rules. In single or multiplayer mode, playing UNO™ with friends has never been so fun and easy.
· Terminator Salvation – A 3D third person shooting game that plunges players into an action packed sci-fi world where you play as Resistance leader, John Connor and take out hordes of enemies to defend the human race.
Gameloft’s backlog titles continue to hit the Top 10 Paid Games list across multiple countries worldwide. The company plans to launch 15-30 titles for the App Store through the end of 2009.”