With the iPad and iPhone now at the forefront of Apple’s marketing push, the iPod isn’t getting much commercial love these days. In fact, the last commercial focusing exclusively on the iPod was released back in September 2009, and while the bulk of iPod commercials have centered on music, those campaigns soon gave way to ads touting gaming and video recording on the iPod Touch and iPod Nano respectively.
In the interest of looking back at one of Apple’s more successful ad campaigns, we thought it’d be fun to pore over Apple’s collection of iPod commercials and pick the best songs Apple ever plucked for use in an iPod commercial. As with most things music, this list is completely subjective, and not necessarily in any particular order, so don’t get all bent out of shape if one of your favorites didn’t make the cut or if it’s at the bottom of the list.
1. Are You Gonna Be My Girl? by Jet – iPod, 2003/2004
2. 1234 by Feist – iPod Nano, 2007
Before blowing up in 2007 thanks to the following commercial, Feist was a popular and well-known Indie artist without much mainstream recognition. This commercial changed all that and even launched a few video spoofs. Though some indie hardcores lamented the fact that their singer of choice was no longer a best-kept-secret, it was nice to see the talented Canadian singer-songwriter get some widespread recognition.
3. Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz – iPod 4G, 2005
4. Music is my hot sex by CSS – iPod, 2007
The concept for this video was originally put together by a student. After the video made a splash on YouTube, Apple flew the lucky fellow to California where he helped Apple’s ad agency create a similar ad.
5. Shut Up and Let Me Go by The Ting Tings – iPod, 2008
6. What I’m Looking For by Brendan Benson – iPod Touch, 2008
7. Bruises by Chairlift – iPod Nano 4G, 2008
8. Hey Mama by Black Eyed Peas – iPod, 2003
9. Jerk It Out by Caesars – iPod Shuffle 1G, 2005
10. Ride by The Vines, iPod 4G, 2005
11. Lose Yourself by Eminem, 2005
12. Original of the Species by U2, iPod Video, 2005. This was the first commercial Apple launched for the iPod Video. You’ll notice that it also features the iconic profile of Bono that Apple uses as the artist icon on the iPhone and iPod Touch.
13. You, Me and the Bourgeoisie by The Submarines – iPhone 3G, 2008
14. Viva la Vida by Coldplay – iPod, 2008
15. Flathead by The Fratellis, iPod, 2007
16. Rock Star (Jason Nevins Remix) by N.E.R.D. iPod 3G, 2003
17. Technologic by Daft Punk, iPod 4G, 2005
18. Mi Swing Es Tropical by Quantic and Nickodemus, iPod, 2007